Picnic and patio season is here! I’m sharing one of my favorite health(ier) dips that you can enjoy all summer long. What makes this dip healthier?
- Black beans are full of healthy fiber and protein
- Avocado is full of healthy fats
- Greek yogurt is full of calcium and protein (although you can leave it out if you don’t do dairy — it’s still delicious)
- Salsa. Who doesn’t love salsa?!
Layer dips are typically full of cheese and refried beans. This dip is nutritious, filling, and a super balanced combo of healthy protein, carbs, and fat.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 lime
- 3 avocados
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp. dried)
- 2 – 6 oz. containers plain greek yogurt (no flavors, no added sugar)
- 2 tsp. Taco seasoning*
- 1 cup salsa
* Be sure that your taco seasoning contains just spices and recognizable ingredients; brands like Old El Paso have weird and unnecessary fillers. I like Penzey’s, or you can make your own.
Garnishes (optional, but they make it prettier and tastier):
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch green onions/scallions
- ½ cup diced bell peppers
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Layer 1: Black beans
Drain and rinse black beans. Shake off all excess water and pour into 8-inch square pan. Squeeze half of the lime over beans and press with the flat side of a fork into an even layer. (Don’t throw the colander in the sink yet!)
Layer 2: Avocado
Cut avocados in half and scoop out pulp into a small bowl. Squeeze the other half of the lime over the avocado and mash together with a fork or pastry blender. Add in the cumin, cayenne, and garlic, and mix. Spread the avocado mixture over the black beans.
Layer 3: Greek yogurt
Mix the greek yogurt with the taco seasoning. Layer on top of the avocado
Layer 4: Salsa
Salsa can actually be a little watery when you’re using it on the top layer of a dip, so I strain it to remove some water and thicken it a bit before adding (use the same colander from the black beans in layer 1!)
Layer 5: Garnish!
Dice the tomatoes and peppers and slice the scallions and sprinkle over the top. You’ll also add the cheese here if you’re using it.